Friday 25 August 2017

Favourite Learning to Read Tools!




I was looking back over some posts being a little nostalgic and came across a previous post I wrote about us abandoning phonics. Well we didn't abandon it completely, but I found this fantastic book called 'Teach your child To Read in 100 easy lessons', you can read that post here. 

I cannot praise this book enough, I believe this book transformed the twins reading progression and helped them become the good little book readers that they are, it also helped them with their writing, I cannot believe it has been three years since we were on that book.

I love looking back on some of the posts I have written over the past few years, it is lovely to see the progression that the kids are going through. I was apprehensive when I started this blog, but I am so very happy that I did now, the memories put smiles on my face, the moans and groans I used to get while we used the 'Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons', I can hear myself saying to them "Yes but it's working, lets stick it out a while longer"... 

They actually agreed with me and although the twins found it a tad monotonous, it was working, they could tell it was, so even they too wanted to 'stick it out'.

That was a good decision from all of us, I feel. If I had to choose two favourite tools that I have used with the twins on our educational Journey so far, I have to say this book 'Teach your child to read in 100 Easy Lessons' and reading eggs have to be my absolute favourites, you can grab your copy from ebay here, there are some really good priced used ones on ebay or sign up to reading eggs below.(click on the reading eggs Free Trial).

Although I do believe that by limiting the twins screen time and concentrating more on physical books instead of electronic devices has helped them no end.

Focusing on using two methods, electronic device and books has given them a love of reading that I never had as a child, well not until I was an older child, it was not until about the age of 10 that I started to pick up a book of my own accord and enjoy reading just for the sake of it.

It is really lovely when the twins ask me to get a certain book, they now have a growing wish list of books they want to read!.


If you want to see some of the books we have read take a look at our Book of the week list. If you have any books you would like to suggest and think we will enjoy then please feel free to leave me a comment on the book of the week list comments thread.







No comments:

Post a Comment